FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE FEBRUARY 11, 2019
KENANSVILLE, NORTH CAROLINA – James Sprunt Community College is pleased to announce that it will offer tax assistance to students, faculty, and staff as well as to the general public. This year the college will offer tax assistance through two programs, VITA and Tax Time Allies.
Both services are offered as a free service from the college through a partnership with Single Stop.
VITA: Volunteer Income Tax Assistance Program
VITA is with tax preparers certified by the IRS to prepare and file taxes for free on hand, patrons can drop off information for tax returns, Monday – Thursday 8:30am – 6:00pm and Friday 8:30am – 12:00pm. The VITA office is located in the Student Success Center, Room 105 in the Hoffler Building. Once tax returns are prepared and ready, patrons will receive a call to come back, review, and sign their returns.
Tax Time Allies Program
The Tax Time Allies programs is offered to those whose annual income is $66,000 or less. Those who meet the eligibility, may qualify to file their taxes for free from the comfort of their own home or at the computer lab located in the Student Success Center, Room 105 in the Hoffler Building.
Through a partnership with Single Stop, you have the option of completing your taxes for free using a self-guided tax link. Before you get started, you will be asked to complete a short survey in which all questions are optional for some basic demographic information.
You can access free tax preparation by visiting https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/jscctax2019.
For both VITA and Tax Time Allies please be sure to have the following information ready for completing your taxes:
- Social Security Number for you and anyone on your return (spouse/dependents) (For VITA please bring Social Security Cards for yourself and spouse/dependents)
- W2’s from all jobs worked last year (last pay stub is NOT acceptable)
- Form 1099R if you receive pension, SSA-1099 if you receive Social Security Benefits.
- Forms 1099T for tuition, 1098E student loan interest, 1099-G unemployment, jury duty, etc.
- Form 1095-A, 1095-B or 1095-C for health insurance.
- 1099-B Income from sale of stocks, bonds or other assets.
- 1099-Misc – Self-employment income received.
- 1099-C Forgiveness of debt – LIMITED
- Form 1098 – Mortgage interest and real estate taxes. – LIMITED
- Forms 1098T – tuition
- 1098E – student loan interest
- If qualifying for the American Opportunity Credit, any out of pocket receipts for books; or the amount paid for books
- Child Care information – name, address, Tax ID or SSN, amount paid for childcare.
If you have any questions, please contact us at Amber Martinez, Single Stop Coordinator at 910-275-6164.
For media related questions, please contact Cheryl Hemric, director of marketing and public information at (910) 275-6170.
James Sprunt Community College is one of the premier institutions in the North Carolina Community College System. Our college serves more than 5,000 students annually from our Kenansville and WestPark campuses and three specialized centers. Learn more at http://www.jamessprunt.edu.